Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I'm Voting Today: What are the Issues?

I've talked a weeny bit about the election but not about the issues. I'm curious to know what are the issues for you? Economy, the war, abortion, same-sex marriage, health care? What's your priority when you look at a candidate?

Honestly, for me, it seems the issues change, depending upon how the media reports them. Sometimes the economy is high up there but then I wonder, "Is the media making it out like Bush has wonked up our economy because they hate him so much, or is the economy in fair shape?" I recall when Clinton was running in 1992 and his tagline against George H.W. Bush was, "It's the economy, stupid!" He won on that (and the fact that Ross Perot split the Republican vote didn't help much, either), but after he took his oath of office it wasn't the economy. The economy was doing just fine under Bush, sr. So, needless to say, I take what the media and candidates claim as priority with a grain of salt.

So, priorities for me...I couldn't vote for a candidate who didn't stand against abortion on demand. I don't believe that Roe v. Wade could be overturned without consequences that would do more damage than good but I do believe the country and especially the President can make abortion so repugnant that the law becomes archaic and thereby, eventually repealed.

Now, disregard, partially, what I said above about not trusting the media because I think a major issue in the day-to-day living for many Americans is the economy. When we borrow money from China to pay our citizens a tax rebate, there's something wrong. I would like to see our economy stronger by not have such a large debt to foreign economies.

I am not for a quick pull-out of our troops. For ill or for good we are in Iraq and must wisely maneuver out of there slowly and assuredly.

Universal health care: hmmm, does government usually run any program efficiently and cost-effectively? I don't think so. I think there should be some reforms but not to be run by Washington.

Now I'm off to vote.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday so I'm beginning a Lenten series. AND I WON SOMETHING ON THE BLOGGY GIVEAWAY!

No comments: