Saturday, April 12, 2008

And I Would Walk 500 Miles...

If you've noticed my fitness tracker I have passed the 500 mile mark toward my goal of 1000 miles. Why I chose 1000 miles I have no idea. It just seemed like a good number at the time - six months ago. So in the past six months I've walked 569 miles. As Dave likes to say when I update my ticker every week, "But I still see you!" At least he would say it if he were here! But he's more than 500 miles away. He's half way 'round the world enjoying chai and samsas and chipatis and goolam jammins and...he's in India.

This isn't the first time Dave's been away from the family for an extended time (it's three weeks this time). There is a definite routine to our emotions when he departs. The first two to three days we are all out of sorts. We can't seem to sit down together as a family. For my part I just want to wallow in self-pity, remorse and gluttony. When day four comes around I am ready to get on with life. I dive full-steam-ahead with projects-I clean, I cook decent meals, I feel motivated and positive. This lasts until Dave's return. I'm feeling independent and then Dave comes home and disrupts my neat and tidy routine. Then I have to return to the way things were before he left and that takes some time...a couple days of self-pity, remorse, gluttony and then I embrace the way things used to, are supposed to be. I lived this enough, I know what to expect. And I can't wait till he gets home!!!

Some good news on the potty training front - we have going #1 down!!!! Now, I just have to catch Liam before he runs under the table, hides in the closet to do #2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being the age I am or is it the generation...is the Utube for your walking? I've been somewhat overwhelmed in the last 24hours...Starting with church and the solo "We shall behold Him", breathtaking, the Wichita symphony's final performance of the season, very enjoyable, and finishing off the day with The Blue Man group along with 5,000 Kansas fans, loud and different. It was quite a day....busy for one but we'd never been to a 'Rock Concert'. Anyone seen the group? All ages, shapes and sizes attended, families with preteens and teens. We're glad we went but also glad we were guests of some friends.
Barbie...really proud of you walking...keep up the good work. Inspire me!

Barb said...

I pulled the Youtube video because of the song, ANd I Would Walk 500 Miles...
I don't use the YouTube when walking
I use Leslie Sansone dvds. I vary between 3 miles to 5 miles. I started an exercise class at church too. So usually I walk 3 miles by myself and 2-3 miles with gals from church