Thursday, February 05, 2009

Lost My Mojo

It's been a while since an original thought has entered my cerebral cortex (is that where they enter anyway???). I was fast and furiously blogging about the election and since then experienced major let-down and depression. Not really, but did lose my reason for blogging. What is my purpose? Where are my words? Where is my voice? I have nothing to say! Others say it better, more eloquently, wittier, wiser...just let it go.

But the other day I read a blog entry, poignant and profound, from Amy Wellborn's husband. His last blog entry. He collapsed at the gym and died soon after. I read his blog and was struck by the similarity of thought that I've been hearing lately and pondering myself.

The greatest lie we as the church in the United States have believed is that God comes into our lives and makes everything nice, easy, abundant and joyful in a materialistic sense. We are where the prosperity Gospel prospers. We buy into the belief that when one embraces Jesus as Lord and Savior He will make the life's journey smooth and trouble-free.

 This is a lie. 

Romans 8:28 says:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

For the past few decades I have believed this verse meant my life would be easy, profitable and without stress. I read the words - "for the good" - and replaced them in my mind with "for my pleasure and ease". 

God wants us to be holy, righteous, sanctified. To get to those places is not easy, comfortable,
or pleasant. Like Eustace in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader our scales must be removed to reveal the people He has meant us to be. It isn't comfortable. We attach ourselves to those things, quite quickly and easily, which remove us as far as possible from holiness. What's natural is to imbibe in the flesh - give in to those things which pleasure us. And then, as believers, at least I did, I justify by saying, "But God wants me to be happy!"

It's a lie.

God is preparing his bride - the church. Preparation. It's a process. It's taking me out of my comfort zone and allowing me to see the potential my Creator sees in me and make me hunger to be holy, to be pure, to be able to sit in his presence.
I'm asking God for one thing,
only one thing:
To live with him in his house
my whole life long.
I'll contemplate his beauty;
I'll study at his feet. Psalm 27


Through my brief travels, readings and meetings with believers around the world I see that they get it. They live without the physical "blessings" we have in the U.S. and recognize these things are not "blessings" but rather distractions. Are we, the U.S., western Church, awakening? Are we recognizing the muck and mire we have wallowed in is not really God's consecration on our lives but rather a second-rate replica.

Michael Dubruiel concluded his entry with these words:
What is the opposite of the “big lie”? Trust.

Regardless of circumstances, in wealth or in hunger, I trust 
that it is His hand leading me into his holiness, 
preparing me to sit in His presence, 
making me, 
molding me, 
loving me to not leave me as I am, 
but to continue to refine me.



3 comments:

Viola Larson said...

Wow Barb,

I just read not only your posting but the post you linked to. I agree with all you said and need to remember it in my own life. But also when I read the story on the link I am reminded of the great care Christ takes of his children, taking them finally home to him.

Barb said...

You know, Viola, when Tony Snow passed away last year, Fr. Neuhaus a few weeks back and now Michael Dubruiel, I felt a pang of jealousy. God has called them home. To rest with Him.

Viola Larson said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. But it isn't time for us to rest yet I guess.