Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sanctification

After one accepts Jesus Christ as the Son of God, ones Lord and Savior - mediator between us and the Father - life is about sanctification. God loves us as we are, true but
He loves us more -
enough to move us into holiness.
Sanctification.
It means, like the smelter remove the gunk,
the goo,
the junk,
the trash,
the filth,
the yuckiness of sin which soooo easily keeps us down,
bound,
strangled and
hopeless.

He begins shaping and molding us into who He created us to be. That sounds like going backwards - what we were supposed to be? In the first creation. The original.

What wondrous love is this!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul.

When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul, for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb, I will sing, I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb, I will sing.
To God and to the Lamb Who is the great “I Am”;
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing;
While millions join the theme, I will sing.

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing and joyful be;
And through eternity, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And through eternity, I’ll sing on.

I am, when in my best, when leaning on His everlasting arms, so thankful that God is still working on me! He doesn't leave me bitter, jealous, insecure, shy, weak-willed, lustful, greedy.... He works grace, mercy, patience, strength in Him, contentment, dependence on Him into my skin and bones, into my heart and mind. It's not easy. It requires me to get down on my knees and say, confess, "I am wrong. Please help me. Lift me up. I give myself to You." That comes when the Holy Spirit overwhelms me with His love and assurance that this surgery is for my good. He woos me.

While on vacation I read The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. A must-read. A quick-read. A deep-read. One ghost's story concludes:

"Have I your permission?" said the Angel to the Ghost.

"I know it will kill me."

"It won't. But supposing it did?"

"You're right. It would be better to be dead than to live with this creature."

"Then I may?"

"Damn and blast you! Go on can't you? Get it over. Do what you lik." bellowed the Ghost: but ended, whimpering, 'God help me. God help me." Next moment the Ghost gave a scream of agony such as I never heard on Earth. The Burning One closed his crimson grip on the reptile; twisted it, while it bit and writhed and then flung it, broken backed, on the turf.

"Ow! That's done for me,"gasped the Ghost, reeling backwards.

Read the rest to find out what happened to the Ghost and the reptile. It's, well, it sent shivers through my soul.

No comments: