Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Gardening 101

I love gardening. I should say, I love the idea of gardening. I occasionally pull weeds in our flower beds. I've planted bulbs, roses, peonies, etc. Sometimes a flower comes up. Sometimes just the stem. I want to be a gardener but, honestly, I don't think I have it in me. I'm all thumbs when it comes to the garden, and they're not green.

Almost five years ago I planted a lilac bare-root (I think that's what it's called, there was, it seemed, hardly any plant, just root and dirt) shrub in the corner of our backyard. The first year I anticipated an overflowing bush, covered with blossoms, their smell wafting in through my kitchen window. It was a stick. I've protected it from the elements, mainly our dogs. They love to run the perimeter of the fence barking at squirrels rabbits and the oft-sited neighbor kids (checking out our Australian shepherd, to see how high she can jump).

This morning I look out the kitchen window and guess what...there's a cluster of blossoms on my lilac twig. It's still not a full-grown bush. After five years of anticipation I feel a bit satisfied with my patience.

No comments: