Friday, August 10, 2007

Curriculum

Friday, August 10---Curriculum
What curriculum do you use? Where do you buy it? Have you found a "gem" that you must share with others? Was something in particular a complete failure for you and your kids?

For the past 7 years we have used Sonlight. We love it. It has been so useful to have your day planned out, books, texts, workbooks all in one package.

This year, however, I've been turned on to classical schooling. Now this is more of an attitude to take than a curriculum. But I am combining various grammar/math/logic/art/history books to design our own year of homeschooling. Much of what I've gathered I've learned from several sources: Susan Wise Bauer's The Well Trained Mind; Well Trained Mind website boards; classicalhomeschooling.com internet conference held last weekend.

So here's the plan:
Bible
I've tried various curriculum for Bible and found them coming up short-some too elementary, lame question and some just plain boring. We enjoy reading from the scriptures and asking our own questions. For answers, we search the internet, commentaries or my husband/their father-our resident Bible scholar

Latin (Latin Christiana)
This will be a new endeavour. Excited to see our it goes

Grammar (copywork, dictation and diagramming)
This is my weakest subject. I will be using Mary Daly's Diagramming book and Rod and Staff (Building Securely and Building with Diligence).

Spelling-Spelling Power (Emma); Sequential Spelling (Aidan)

Handwriting
Kids will be handwriting letters weekly in cursive and Aidan will be going through Zaner-Bloser's Handwriting

Ancient History-Story of the World and Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
Reading one chapter a week with outlining and timelining

Math Saxon Algebra 1/2, 7/6

Logic - Mind Benders (Aidan); Critical Thinking (Emma)

Art - Web Gallery of Art

Music - Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Readers/Read Alouds

This list will be growing as we find more fiction related to Ancient History. I am using purchased All Through the Ages as a guide for fiction book related to certain dates in history. There will be several pleasure books interspersed through the year (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.). I'm also using Invitation to the Classic by Cowan and Guinness.

I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of this homeschooling series. It has encouraged me to see the diversity of homeschoolers. Go to Randi's blog to see more bloggers curriculum ideas.

Homeschooling is a blast.

7 comments:

carol said...

We're trying out the classical approach this year too! We're using the Omnibus Textbook from Veritas Press. I keep looking at it and the BIIIIIG stack of books that goes with it and thinking "Oh no, WHAT have I gotten us into this year!" LOL!

Anonymous said...

We have the same issue with Bible curriculum/lessons. I have taken on just reading with them and discussing. It is amazing how the Holy Spirit matures them so fast in this area.

Anonymous said...

I so want to try Latin, but my husband is convinced that we need to learn something more usable. Sigh. Maybe I can squeeze two languages in?!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite things about moms and dads who homeschool is they ENJOY their kids! If I had a dollar for every public school mom who said..I CANT WAIT FOR SCHOOL TO START I seriously could redo my kitchen. Your blog inspires me... we did homeschooling, then took a break due to me going back to work but after this yr. I want to return to it again...your blog is really motivating me and giving me GREAT ideas!

momof3feistykids said...

It looks like a terrific curriculum. By the way, I love the picture at the top of your blog!

http://tribeofautodidacts.homeschooljournal.net/

Heidi said...

Your curriculum line-up looks great! :) Sonlight has a great selection of books (I've purchased quite a few), but I can understand wanting to put together something on your own.

You had asked about the CDs that my boys listen to on my blog the other day, and I wanted to let you know that I posted that list. Not many of the CDs are specifically educational songs/chants. My main recommendation for those are from Audio Memory. But if you're interested in my post, here is the link:

http://mthopeacademy.blogspot.com/2007/08/learning-by-listening.html

Best of luck on your first year of classical education!

Anonymous said...

Catching up with 2 weeks of blogs...wow...Looking forward to hearing from my Grandchildren via the US mail.